The Higher Education Outreach Network is pleased to offer a 1-day UCAS Toolkit Event at the University of Surrey that aims to prepare students for their UCAS applications and transitioning to university. This event would be best suited for anyone thinking about going to university.
About HEON's UCAS Toolkit Day
Our UCAS Toolkit Day aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills they will need to make the transition from school or college to university by offering workshops and talks on:
- The UCAS Process - this will introduce students to the process of applying to university, with student ambassadors sharing their experiences and answering students’ questions.
- Student Finance - this will cover how the application process works, how student loans are paid to students, and how repayment works. There will also be some myth busting about student loans and finance.
- Personal Statements- this session will help students think about what should be included in the personal statement and how it should be structured, and look at what admissions tutors are looking for.
- Study Skills - this will include note-taking, presentation skills, working within a group, time management, and revision. There will also be the opportunity to look at study skills that are useful in higher education such as using the library, reading for seminars and tutorials, understanding academic writing, how to reference, and avoiding plagiarism.
- Building a Portfolio – This session is for those interested in creative courses and offers advice on how to prepare your portfolio.
What do you need to know?
Date: Tuesday 30th January 2018
Location: The University of Surrey, Guildford
Who is eligible?
The Higher Education Outreach Network is funded to work with students who reside in areas that have a lower rate of progression to Higher Education than is expected. Eligibility will be determined by the student's postcode. You can use our postcode tool here to check whether your student is eligible:
You can also download our postcode tool for teachers here to quickly check multiple postcodes.
Register your interest
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this event.
Places are limited.
Find out more about HEON
You can find out more about the National Collaborative Outreach Programme by visiting the Higher Education Funding Council for England's website: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/sas/ncop/
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this event or HEON in general, please contact email@example.com